By Jeanmarie Papelian
I am honored to work with the talented ATP team to achieve our goal of a secure, independent and sustainable Armenia through environmental education, reforestation and advocacy. With your support, ATP has been planting trees since 1994. We started during a very dark time. What a difference 21 years has made! Of course we have lots of work yet to accomplish, but we're proud to say we've made a greener Armenia.
We supported the Genocide centennial commemorations with trees, honoring our ancestral roots by creating a green future in today's Republic. Support for our Living Century Initiative allowed us to plant 10 new community forests in Armenia in memory of the lost regions of historic Armenia.
Many supporters gave in memory of their ancestors, including the family of historian Lerna Ekmekcioglu, who wrote: "We should be grateful to ATP's Living Century Initiative for enabling different generations of Armenians to connect with each other as well as to Armenians past and future by planting forests named after the Western Armenian homelands."
So what's next? As ATP enters its 22nd year of positive change, we have big plans:
- Break ground at a new nursery and environmental center in Vayots Dzor/li>
- Expand our environmental education programs in the US and Armenia
- Build up ATP's backyard nursery program
- Continue our reforestation and community tree planting
We've planted in more than 33 percent of Armenia's villages and towns; with your help we can reach 100 percent!
We invite you to Get Rooted with us. With your involvement, we can progress towards our goal of a sustainable and green Armenia. You can help in many ways:
- Visit us in Armenia (see some of our dates in the flyer below)/li>
- Plant a tree (click here to sponsor a tree)
- Invite us to your school, community group or church for an educational session about the environment and our role in preserving it
- Support our work financially by hosting a fundraiser or making a gift